Monday, February 13, 2006

The Speed of Time

When we are young, time travels slowly. The years creep on past as we anxiously look ahead. But then, suddenly, just as we wish it would start to stand still, the time begins to fly by. Years can disappear without notice. And not until we have children in our lives again are we able to gage just how long a year is.

It's hard to believe it's been nearly three years since I packed all my shit and moved here from NH (without telling my boyfriend). I lived in Dover so long, it still seems like my hometown in a strange way... and yet it moves on without me, and life with it.

A close friend had a baby right before I moved. It was the first time I had been around locally for a friend through her pregnancy, and I was sad to leave them, knowing I would not get to see the baby grow as I would like. But I'm still in the area every two or three months, and I see them as often as I can. It was a shock to realize, on my way for a visit last week, that Avery was turning three this past Saturday. Look at her! She smiles, she talks, she plays, she draws faces... three years for me have disappeared in a snap, but this wee little baby has turned into a girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home