Thursday, November 03, 2005

Daylight "Savings"

This is the time of year I hate the most, the time when they steal my daylight and claim they are giving me more. What sense does this make? How come dusk goes from 5:30 to 4:30 and they tell us it's to SAVE DAYLIGHT.

yada yeah, I know, it's supposed to give us more light in the morning. My theory is that it's so kids don't have to wait at their bus-stop in the dark... although I still remember having to do that, so obviously it doesn't solve the problem completely. Maybe it's so we don't notice how unnatural it is to get up early in the morning in the wintertime; I am not a morning person, so it's pretty hard to fool me on that one. I am miserable enough at six am... I realize how much worse it is in the dark, I really do. Still it makes me more miserable to see the daylight end before the afternoon.

The worst part? The days continue to get shorter. EVERY DAY through December 21st will be shorter than the last. It's a damn good thing we have the holidays to distract us, kids.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

My sister (Beth) has just informed me that we are now in "real time". It is, in fact, SUMMER when we save daylight, and the time is labeled accordingly as "Eastern Daylight Time", whereas now we are in "Eastern Standard Time". This indicates that the daylight we save is in the summertime, and otherwise would be wasted at 4 am. So I guess I have nothing to complain about.

Also with nothing to complain about, I might point out, is John regarding his comment on this post. John doesn't have enough light to play catch with his youngster after work anymore... I sympathize. John still, however, has decent enough weather to hang out outside, were it only light enough. John can install some exterior lights and get the kid used to the bright lights, where all the best baseball is played anyway. I, on the other hand, will be freezing my tail off every time I go outdoors for the next five months, as the temps up here are broadcast daily on the radio down there just to give Floridians a chuckle. Count your blessings, John.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home