Friday, December 08, 2006

More Excuses and The Boxing Day Party

Ha ha ha. Of course, I'm doing it to myself AGAIN! I really want to write about the demise of my latest not-quite-as-perfect-as-it-seemed-at-the-time relationship... but that's quite a story, and a bit of a jumble, so I just haven't given it the time it needs.

In the meantime, I keep meaning to write of course, but I've turned over a new leaf and am actually WORKING every day. Yeah, working tends to get in the way of my blogging activities. Then I get home and I'm exhausted and blogging always seems better to do with a fresh head in the AM, when I'm all charged up with coffee... then I wake up late and have no time between coffee and shower and get-the-hell-to-work. You all know how that happens. The difference is, YOU ALL get to go to work and sit at a computer and still have access to your blogger dashboard, while I'm laying out dropcloths and actually getting my hands dirty.

My sister Bonnie suggested in the comment thread that I blog about a party I want to have. I'm excited about planning this party, but I haven't really done anything yet... One key arrangement MUST be in place for me to feel comfortable about this. I want to throw a Boxing Day party. Anyone know what boxing day is? Read the link, bozos. I want to have a party on the evening of Tuesday the 26th. Dress casual, and bring everything in your home that you just don't want anymore and stick it in my garage. (Hence, the arrangement: I need to convince Goodwill or the Salvation Army or somebody to pick this stuff up on the 27th and take it away to charity.) This party will also feature an 8pm Yankee swap (wrap up something you don't want from christmas and trade it off to unsuspecting victims). I may even invite people to bring holiday leftovers that they are desperate to get out of their homes.

My sister Beth suggested to me that she would have a lot more time to find stuff to give to charity if I had this party in the middle of January. There's a few problems with that idea:

  • Boxing Day is December 26th.
  • I don't have enough room in my garage for ALL the things Beth can give to charity, plus that of everyone else I know. If this party catches on, it might be a tight squeeze as it is.
  • Aside from taking a nap, I can't think of a better use of one's time on the afternoon/evening of Christmas Day, after all the hullabaloo is over while one still feels bloated and spoiled from the excesses of this holiday. As you put away your gifts, make room for them by going through your belongings and finding things to give away. I can say from personal experience that this activity is the perfect antidote for any post-Christmas letdown blues you might normally experience.
  • Did I mention that Boxing Day is an actual holiday, celebrated internationally, occurring specifically on December 26th, NOT "in the middle of January"?
So. Anyone want to come to my party? I called Goodwill about it last week and got transferred to someone's voicemail, never to be called back. I will go to Goodwill in person today, and if that doesn't work I'll try Salvation Army. In the meantime, I know my sister Bonnie and my mom have specific charities they give different types of things to... I think they also know someone with a van who drives a schoolbus (and therefore would be off that week.) Maybe someone would be interested in sorting the objects and delivering them to specific charities? Just throwing it out there. I don't really care what happens to the stuff, so long as it ends up in the hands of people who can use it, rather than continue to collect dust in all of our closets.

14 Comments:

Blogger Novella said...

WOW ... I am loving the idea of this party ... wished I lived closer ! WOW ... I really think this sounds fun ...

Maybe next year ...

1:00 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Well, that's a great idea, but I'll be going home Christmas night so I can go to work on Boxing Day. I would consider taking the day off if it were an earlier party time...

8:43 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

well, here are my thoughts on Boxing Day. I have been to MANY Boxing Day parties. Actually, truth be told, as I understand it, the history behind Boxing Day is that you give "boxes" to your "servant" people (according to English and Scottish tradition) the day AFTER the big day, and so it is a "holiday of boxes." I have a friend here who has a Boxing Day Party every year on December 26...and that is her explanation...but to be fair, she is ridiculously wealthy and is one of the few people I know who would be able to comment on a "holiday" that only benefits the "servants."
So take from that what you will.
Having said all that, I am ALWAYS game for a party, and would be there, kids in tow, if I wasn't hoping to (planning to, in fact) move that weekend. Perhaps you would consider bringing your truck HERE and I will throw free food and drink at whomever will help to move my belongings from one place to another??? We can CALL it Boxing Day!!! There would be boxes involved....

11:53 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Novy,
I know. SOOOOO far away. But don't feel like you can't have your own! I intend this to be a bare-bones casual party to properly contrast with the richness we'll be soaking in up until that day. So it's not going to take a ton of planning or preparation... just charity coordination and invites. So it's not too late to plan your own or talk a friend into it. It would be a valuable lesson to teach the son, I bet.

BabaJa,
I just assume most people will have to work on that day so I should have it at six-seven-ish, but maybe I'm wrong. When I get a better idea of who's coming we can make that assessment. Regardless, you are welcome to bring me your charity give-aways and take part in the yankee swap... I can always bring your swap gift to NH if you have to leave beforehand.

JessieE,
This rich friend of yours, does she actually box things up to give to her servants? Does she have a give-to-charity gig at the party or is it just a regular party with a boxing day excuse?

Oh, how I wish you could come, too. I would set you up at my sisters. Sammy's much better off without this trip; my niece has a real thing for the older boys and he's end up with a pretty 2-year-old trailing him the whole time, flipping her hair and clutching her fake coach bag!
So you know the party's on a Tuesday, right? When are you moving, the weekend of 30-31? I sure would love to come help you but that is my x-mas in NH weekend. Maybe the next weekend I can come to help you put things up and together. You and me, drunk with power tools... people will line up just to witness such foolishness.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Rebecca, I'd love to be a part...and I could bring my company's pickup truck, not my driving style, but great for the purposes you outlined. Missing you, and happiness and health to you and yours. Peter...maybe I'll hear from you! P.S. My birthday today. It would be quite a nice gift just to read a real Rebecca S. email! Take care, keep smiling. Miss you. peter*

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Reb! Hey is this where you are these days? I stopped by your Sox site on a whim and somehow through the magic of the internest, wound up here!

Anyway, hope you are doing ok!

(GO PATS)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Novella said...

*whistles* It's like riding a bike, you'll remember to do it everyday ... soon ... LOL ! No pressure Reb !

3:41 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

jessiee...
This wealthy friend of yours - does she hand out the trash from her unwrappings or does she actually fill the boxes with stuff? kindling for their fireplaces? :)

1:26 AM  
Blogger JessieE said...

Ok, girlies, simmer down. I feel the need to clarify.

My friend, delightful as she is, grew up in Scotland, where Boxing Day is traditional. Whether or not they actually GAVE boxes to servants is up for debate; my point was only that she KNEW the tradition and shared it with me so that I know what it's about.

Knowing her as I do, I am certain she did not ever give left-over wrappings, but only gifts from the heart (if she gave at all). I know she would very much appreciate Reb's idea of boxing for the needy.

:-)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Novella said...

REB ? Can you hear me ? We miss you ... the drawer has dust ...

8:23 AM  
Blogger Novella said...

Today is 6/15/07 ... it's been a long time ... :(

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:14 AM  
Blogger 今天 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home