Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I Want it Back

six weeks.

I just looked at the calender, and that's how long my hairclip has been missing. I know what you're thinking: any "normal" woman would have put that clip far behind her by now. The fact that I continue to peer under couches and rifle through drawers where I have already looked dozens of times does not speak highly of my sanity. But I can't help it. For a woman to attach this much importance to an object, I'm sure you're thinking it has sentimental value... and I suppose I could derive some out of it if I must, but that's not what bothers me. My need for this object is practical.


I paid thirty dollars for it, which I'm sure you're thinking is highway robbery for some kind of barrette with no actual jewels in it, but I tell you I would pay it again and again... if only I could find the vendor. I bought it at a stand somewhere in downtown Boston, the day of the parade (October 30, 2004.) It came with a lifetime warranty but I promptly lost all information that had come with it, including brand name. Friends have returned to the location for me to no avail. I don't know how to get another one.

I am desperate to find this hairclip, or another one like it in short order. It is, in fact, the only thing I have ever found that effectively holds my hair up. My mother, knowing this, found some in the same design for me for Christmas. A lovely thought, and I now resort to using them on occasion, but because they are made of plastic they are too flimsy to hold onto my hair for more than five minutes at a time. The metal teeth and spring were both essential to the strength of this clip. I found one in Lincoln, NH this weekend of similar style and made of metal... but it's fancy. And it doesn't manipulate easily.I can wear it sometimes but not - like the beloved red one - EVERY DAY.

I keep thinking it will turn up. I keep trying to go over in my head the last times I used it, to think of where I might have left it. Is it rude to ask a friend AGAIN six weeks later "are you SURE you don't have my hairclip?" Yeah, I guess that would imply foul play or something. Not that I think anyone would steal it (unless, of course, they figured out how god-damned awesome it was) but perhaps some people might not realize how CRAZY I am about it?

Get over it? yeah, easy for you to say... you whose hair is not long enough to find use for such an object, or who prefers a ponytail, or who just was never priveleged enough to get used to such a clip... and you, over there without hair at all, yeah YOU... laugh it up. After all, there's gotta be some benefit to baldness.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lynsey said...

You're still looking for that damn thing?? It's probably in my couch somewhere...

Just kidding..I'd know it, being the clean freak that I am. Good luck on the continuing hunt.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

Ditto..it's not here...you weren't wearing one that night. And to those who might wonder, that was a totally innocent comment.

4:33 PM  
Blogger John said...

Quest que cest hair clip?
Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa....

Thank you for showing me there is some (if not much) advantage to being follically challenged. Given the choice, I'd rather be looking for a hair clip than have absolutely no use for one, but I also understand the frustration. Good luck!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Why don't you try the Saint Anthony prayer?

"Dear St. Anthony, please come around...something's lost and can't be found."

Works for me every damn time.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Peter,
I lost it six weeks ago. That concert we went to was almost six months ago. So while I'm pretty sure I wore it, I'm also pretty sure I wore it home that night. no worries.

john,
I had no idea you were "follically challenged"... but all the best men are, you know, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Lynsey,
I'm sure that prayer works much better for people who are NEAT and CATHOLIC. But heck, I've tried everything else, right?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Oh, you have a black hole, too?

I lost my GUCCI glasses and my cell phone last winter. I think you can deal with losing a stupid hair clip.

I know, it was special, blah blah blah... but at least you're not stuck with your old, misshaped hairclip from middle school (I guess that only makes sense if you know I am referring to MY old, misshaped *glasses* from middle school).

3:47 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

is that St. Anthony prayer the same one as where you have to plant St. Anthony upside down in your yard? I think you should try it. Even if it doesn't work, it'll be a good story.

P.S. My word verification was "otdkbfe." I feel like it means something in shorthand.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Peter N said...

I know Reb...I just wanted you to rule out every location possible. And here's the link to the Joy of Sox thing by EDES. Have a great summer. Love ya!


http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/02/varitek_out_at_least_a_month/?page=2

5:13 PM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Let's all pitch in and just buy her a damn hair clip. There are people starving in...heck, Bridgeport. There could be worse things in the world...we need her to move on.

1:25 PM  
Blogger JessieE said...

LOL Lynsey. I'm in.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

ha ha. you've both seen the hairclip. If you can find a suitable replacement, I will happily buy it myself.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Lynsey said...

I know how you feel though Rebecca...I lost a hooded sweatshirt once that fit me soooooooo perfectly. I haven't been able to find a replacement since. That was 5 years ago. It was awesome, and ON SALE. I love that damn thing....

Damn it, now I'm depressed!

10:37 AM  
Blogger JessieE said...

time to move on.

updates on the "boy."

8:47 PM  
Blogger JTT said...

I am the same way. I lost a PERFECT leather brush removal/gardening glove like 15 years ago. I SWEAR it is going to turn up someday. I KNOW as soon as I throw its mate away, it will pop up in the field as clear as the nose on my face. Til then -- every time I go up into that back field, I look... I just know its there somewhere. I'll never find a pair of work gloves like that again -- that fit a woman right -- and without all that extra long fingernail crap room at the end..

crap. I'm going up there now. ;)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Um, when are you going to do the jumping-up-and-down-I-FOUND-IT! post?
Or have you already taken it for granted again?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I forgot what we keep in this junk drawer... wow I was wondering where all the flashlights were... we have way too many pens... cough drops... um, what else is in the junk drawer? Only you have the answer, Bonky.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Novella said...

maybe Reb has gone missing ... ? lol ! Maybe she is lost in the drawer !

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home