Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Silver Lining

The yankees won tonight, and I don't care. Isn't it refreshing, that they suck bad enough for me to say that? (Yes, I know it may come back to bite me in the ass.) The Sox lost, and in the most exasperating of ways;
how can this lineup not score with the bases loaded and no outs? And don't even get me started on Alan Embree; next time I see him walking to the mound, I just might throw up. So I am trying to look at the positives:
  • Jeremi Gonzalez, despite a name that worries me into thinking every pitch will land in the stands, pitched a surprisingly decent five innings. A good sign, since I suppose he is a potential starter for the game on Saturday, which will be my first ever visit to the cathedral they call Fenway.
  • Mantei looked very good. If there's some kind of "make me suck" potion in the bullpen water (which there seems to be, eh?) that hottie ain't drinkin' it.
  • The O's lost.
  • It's the O's that we actually care about losing! It's only May, so I can delude myself into thinking that I might not actually care too much about the sox missing the play-offs, as long as the yanks do, too (and by a larger margin.)

I must admit, Omar Infante is actually cuter live. He didn't look quite as young... and technically he gets older every day, right? Nah, still too young for me. But definitely worth looking at. Seeing the Detroit logo everywhere tonight made me realize that I have a tigers hat, and have used it for years on painting projects. Unfortunately I realized this while the bases were loaded, and felt terribly disloyal as the outs kept coming. Are we Sox fans more superstitious than other fans? I suppose it's more about the individual. After all, I've always been superstitious about Patriots stuff, too, and I was a Pats fan first.

Speaking of the Pats, I was so excited about KY lubing the team up (0-2 tonight, no wonder we lost,) I almost missed the biggest news of the weekend. "Doug Flutie!" I said to my dad last night, "Why didn't you tell me?" He said he didn't think I was old enough to remember Flutie, and seeing as I'm turning thirty on Friday and feeling rather ancient right now, I'll just take that as a compliment. Truthfully, his Heisman trophy year was the year before I got into football, but since I've never watched college football anyway, I don't see how that would make much of a difference. The year I got into football (1985), the Patriots ran several flea-flickers, and every time they did, the network found that to be a great excuse to show Flutie's famous hail mary, which by now I've probably seen a zillion times, but it's still fun to watch. Bet they show it at least five times this year during Pats games. It's good to have the hometown boy at Fenway, catching foul balls, but even better to have him in pads, at the Razor (and hopefully on the sidelines all year long.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home